RAY PART » Research project on approaches to participation and citizenship education and learning
Promoting participation in civil society and democratic life as well as active citizenship of young people are objectives of European Youth Policies and European Youth Programmes, in particular of Erasmus+ Youth in Action and of the European Solidarity Corps.
The RAY Network conducted a research project on long-term effects of Erasmus+ Youth in Action on participation and active citizenship (RAY LTE) between 2015 and 2019. The main findings of the transnational analysis of this research project included a number of recommendations referring to the development of promoting participation and active citizenship.
As a result, the present research project was launched, focusing on how competences and practices for participation and democratic citizenship could be developed in European Youth Programmes.
Aims & Objectives
The aim of this research project is to explore how competences for participation and democratic citizenship could be developed in and through the European Youth Programmes.
Objectives are to explore:
- approaches to participation and citizenship education and learning applied in the European youth programmes, in particular with respect to a European dimension;
- which approaches are particularly effective in developing participation and citizenship competences and practices, and their strenghts and qualities;
- how the competences necessary to implement these approaches can be developed.
General research question:
- Which approaches to participation and citizenship education and learning applied in projects funded by European Youth Programmes are effective in developing participation and citizenship competences and practices of participants and, in particular, fostering the engagement of young people in civil society and democratic life and empowering them to do so?
- Case studies of Erasmus+ Youth in Action and European Solidarity Corps projects: Youth Exchanges with a focus on participation; Youth Dialogue Projects; Transnational Youth Initiatives; Solidarity Projects; Volunteering Projects.
- Each case study should cover all project activities from the preparation of the project after grant approval until the end of follow-up activities.
- A participatory research approach (involving participants and project team members in the process) as well as qualitative educational research methods are planned to be applied.
The Research Deisgn is based on the findings of the RAY research project on long-time effects of Erasmus+ Youth in Action on participation and active citizenship and of the Research-based Analysis and Monitoring of Erasmus+ Youth in Action.
The Research Design applies a qualitative educational research approach and a participatory research approach.